As the demand for skilled human resources professionals continues to rise in Tennessee, professionals in the field are likely to earn more impressive salaries. In fact, when the Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development published occupational forecasts, it named human resources specialists among the state’s “Hot Careers to 2020.”
The federal government reasserted this positive occupational outlook when the United States Department of Labor released employment growth trends in 2014 for HR professions in Tennessee through 2022:
- Employment for human resources managers is expected to increase by 19%, while the national average growth rate is 13%
- Employment for human resources specialists is anticipated to climb by 15%, which is 7% faster than the national average
- Employment for human resources assistants is projected to rise by 5%, while the national average growth rate is -1%
Salary Ranges for Human Resources Professionals in Tennessee
HR professionals determined to earn high-end salaries should ultimately seek supervisory, directorial, and managerial jobs as these workers are among the best paid in the field. However, even non-managerial human resources professionals can increase their earning potential by getting a graduate degree, becoming certified, and gaining additional work experience.
In 2014, the United States Department of Labor reported the average pay ranges for a number of human resources occupations in Tennessee:
Human Resources Managers
- Entry Level: $44,800/yr. or $21.56/hr.
- Mid-Career: $78,600/yr. or $37.78/hr.
- Experienced: $138,400/yr. or $66.53/hr.
Human Resources Specialists
- Entry Level: $29,700/yr. or $14.27/hr.
- Mid-Career: $49,500/yr. or $23.81/hr.
- Experienced: $84,100/yr. or $40.45/hr.
Human Resources Assistants
- Entry Level: $22,900/yr. or $11.01/hr.
- Mid-Career: $36,400/yr. or $17.51/hr.
- Experienced: $49,700/yr. or $23.88/hr.
Human Resources Manager Salaries in Tennessee
Salary studies conducted by the United States Department of Labor verify that human resources managers with jobs in Tennessee earned an average annual salary of $86,760 and an average hourly wage of $41.71 in 2014.
However, human resources managers working in the Cleveland area benefitted from a significantly higher average annual salary of $97,720:
Human Resources Specialist Salaries in Tennessee
Salary information provided by the United States Department of Labor shows that human resources specialists employed in Tennessee received an average annual salary of $53,910 and an average hourly wage of $25.92 in 2014.
That year, the Nashville-Davidson-Murfreesboro area awarded the biggest payouts to human resources specialists in the state. Here, these HR workers earned an average annual salary of $57,630:
Human Resources Assistant Salaries in Tennessee
Salary surveys taken by the United States Department of Labor indicate that human resources assistants throughout Tennessee earned an average annual salary of $36,630 and an average hourly wage of $17.61 in 2014.
Yet, human resources assistants with positions in the Memphis area took home a higher-end average annual salary of $39,030: