HR professionals will gain greater access to more competitive salaries as more human resources jobs are created in Iowa. The United States Department of Labor (USDOL) recently announced human resources specialists were among the “Top 50 Fastest-Growing Occupations” in Iowa. This HR profession is projected to benefit from approximately 50 annual job openings through 2022.
Other USDOL employment growth projections for major human resources professional classifications in Iowa through 2022 include:
- The number of human resources managers will increase by 19%, which is 6% faster than the national average for this professional classification
- The number of human resources specialists will rise by 9%, which is 1% higher than the national average for this professional classification
- The number of human resources assistants will rise by 3%, which is 4% faster than the national average for this professional classification
Salaries for Human Resource Specialists and Managers in Iowa
When local employers like Iowa State University, Marco Group International, and Mercy Hospital in Iowa City hire additional HR personnel, they will often establish salary rates based the on a candidate’s previous work experience in human resources.
As a result, seasoned workers with extensive HR backgrounds can earn double or even triple that of their entry-level colleagues.
For instance, according to the United States Department of Labor, pay ranges for human resource professionals employed throughout Iowa in 2014 were:
Human Resources Managers
- Entry Level: $52,400/yr. or $25.19/hr.
- Mid-Career: $84,400/yr. or $40.56/hr.
- Experienced: $140,600/yr. or $67.59/hr.
Human Resources Specialists
- Entry Level: $31,100/yr. or $14.96/hr.
- Mid-Career: $50,300/yr. or $24.20/hr.
- Experienced: $37.69/yr. or $37.69/hr.
Human Resources Assistants
- Entry Level: $25,100/yr. or $12.08/hr.
- Mid-Career: $36,200/yr. or $17.38/hr.
- Experienced: $49,600/yr. or $23.85/hr.
HR professionals optimize their chances of earning the highest salaries in the field by earning graduate degrees in human. Through several years of formal experience and the right education, HR workers may eventually qualify for management or executive positions that offer the greatest salary potential.
Human Resources Manager Salaries in Iowa
Salary studies conducted by the United States Department of Labor reveal that human resources managers employed in Iowa earned an average annual salary of $91,890 and an average hourly wage of $44.18 in 2014.
In that year, the Des Moines-West De Moines area awarded the highest pay averages to human resources managers in the state. Here, these HR professionals took home $107,430 annually:
Human Resources Specialist Salaries in Iowa
In 2014, the United States Department of Labor published wage reports confirming that human resources specialists working in Iowa were paid an average annual salary of $52,700 and an average hourly wage of $25.34.
At that time, the Davenport-Moline-Rock Island area provided the highest pay averages for human resources specialists statewide. Here, these HR workers earned $59,830 annually:
Human Resources Assistant Salaries in Iowa
Occupational wage surveys sponsored by the United States Department of Labor conclude that human resources assistants employed in Iowa earned an average annual salary of $36,760 and an average hourly wage of $17.68 in 2014.
In that year, employers in the Iowa City area offered the highest pay in the state to human resources assistants. Here, these HR professionals received $41,780 annually: