More than ever, human resources professionals in Illinois are pursuing graduate degrees in order to qualify for high paying managerial jobs. Local employers looking to hire HR directors, supervisors, and executives will often require a Master of Business Administration in Human Resources Management or an equivalent degree as a prerequisite for employment.
Among all HR professionals in Illinois, human resources managers are experiencing the best employment opportunities and salary potential. According to the United States Department of Labor, in 2014:
- Illinois had the third highest level of employment for human resources managers in the country
- Illinois had the fifth highest concentration of human resources manager jobs in the country
- The West Central nonmetropolitan region of Illinois was the top paying area for HR managers and had the fourth highest level of employment for HR managers among all other nonmetropolitan areas in the country
- The Chicago-Joliet-Naperville metropolitan division had the second highest employment level for human resources managers among all other metropolitan areas in the country
- The Northwest nonmetropolitan region of Illinois had the fourth highest concentration of human resources manager jobs among all other nonmetropolitan areas in the country
Pay Ranges for Human Resources Workers in Illinois
Non-managerial human resources workers can also earn high-end salaries by accumulating a long history of HR experience. In fact, according to the United States Department of Labor, highly experienced HR professionals are typically paid two to three times more than their entry-level counterparts. In 2014, average pay ranges for HR employees reflect this difference:
Human resources managers
- Entry Level: $51,100/yr. or $24.57/hr.
- Mid-Career: $93,000/yr. or $44.73/hr.
- Experienced: $167,700/yr. or $80.61/hr.
Human resources specialists
- Entry Level: $33,100/yr. or $15.89/hr.
- Mid-Career: $56,900/yr. or $27.34/hr.
- Experienced: $95,100/yr. or $45.71/hr.
Human resources assistants
- Entry Level: $27,700/yr. or $13.33/hr.
- Mid-Career: $41,600/yr. or $20.00/hr.
- Experienced: $58,600/yr. or $28.17/hr.
Human Resources Manager Salaries in Illinois
Salary statistics provided by the United States Department of Labor confirm that human resources managers working in Illinois earned an average annual salary of $102,720 and an average hourly wage of $49.39 in 2014. However, human resource managers employed in the Lake County-Kenosha County metropolitan division and the West Central nonmetropolitan area earned an average annual salary of more than $125,000:
Figures are at or above $90 an hour or $187,199 per year. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics does not report salaries beyond these levels.
Human Resources Specialist Salaries in Illinois
In 2014, the United States Department of Labor published salary reports indicating that human resources specialists employed in Idaho received an average annual salary of $61,530 and an average hourly wage of $29.58. Yet, human resources specialists working in the Springfield area and the West Central nonmetropolitan region received an average salary of more than $63,000:
Human Resources Assistant Salaries in Illinois
Salary figures released by the United States Department of Labor revealed that human resources assistants working in Idaho earned an average annual salary of $42,270 and an average hourly wage of $20.32. Meanwhile, human resources assistants employed in the Chicago-Joliet-Naperville metropolitan division were paid a higher average annual salary closer to $43,290: