As Seattle implements its progressive $15/per hour minimum wage, it has only helped Washington maintain its standing as a state with some of the highest per capita earnings in the nation. Washington’s HR professionals are no exception, and have the distinction of being some of the best paid in the US.
For example, in 2014, the United States Department of Labor released salary publications showing that Washington’s metropolitan district of Seattle-Bellevue-Everett was among the ten highest paying metropolitan areas for human resources specialists nationwide. The Mount Vernon-Anacortes region was also cited as the ninth highest paying metropolitan area for human resources assistants in the country.
In that same year, human resources workers also benefitted from abundant employment opportunities throughout Washington. In fact, the United States Department of Labor reported:
- Washington held the fourth highest concentration of human resources specialist jobs in the country
- The metropolitan section of Olympia, Washington was found to hold the fourth highest concentration of human resources specialist jobs among all other metropolitan areas in the country
- The Seattle-Bellevue-Everett metropolitan division was among the country’s top ten metropolitan areas with the highest employment level of human resources managers
How Experience Impacts HR Salaries in Washington
Salary data collected and publicized by the United States Department of Labor in 2014 revealed that work experience could drastically alter a human resources professional’s salary earning potential in Washington. In fact, evidence suggests that HR employees boasting several years of industry experience could make two to three times that of entry-level positions:
Human resources managers
- Entry Level: $65,700/yr. or $31.57/hr.
- Mid-Career: $109,500/yr. or $52.63/hr.
- Experienced: $171,500/yr. or $82.43/hr.
Human resources specialists
- Entry Level: $39,300/yr. or $18.89/hr.
- Mid-Career: $62,000/yr. or $29.80/hr.
- Experienced: $108,600/yr. or $52.20/hr.
Human resources assistants
- Entry Level: $26,700/yr. or $12.82/hr.
- Mid-Career: $39,900/yr. or $19.16/hr.
- Experienced: $53,800/yr. or $25.85/hr.
Human Resources Manager Salaries in Washington
Salary surveys conducted by the United States Department of Labor conclude that human resources managers working in Washington were paid an average annual salary of $114,830 and an average hourly wage of $55.21 in 2014.
More in-depth studies determined that human resources managers employed in the Seattle-Bellevue-Everett metropolitan area earned a much greater average annual salary of over $122,000:
*Salaries are equal to or greater than $90 an hour or $187,199 a year. The US Department of Labor does not report salary data beyond these values.
Human Resources Specialist Salaries in Washington
Salary statistics compiled by the United States Department of Labor confirm that human resources specialists located in Washington received an average annual salary of $68,130 and an average hourly wage of $32.75 in 2014.
Regional salary findings in that year indicated that human resources specialists employed in the metropolitan division of Seattle-Bellevue-Everett enjoyed a noticeably higher average annual salary of over $74,600:
Human Resources Assistant Salaries in Washington
Salary surveys conducted by the United States Department of Labor provide evidence that human resources assistants working in Washington earned an average annual salary of $39,960 and an average hourly wage of $19.21 in 2014.
At that time, human resources assistants practicing in the Seattle-Bellevue-Everett metropolitan area received a slightly larger average annual salary of over $42,600: